Bray Wyatt, one of the most popular and creative wrestlers in WWE history, died unexpectedly on August 24, 2023, at the age of 36. Bray Wyatt death has left his fans, colleagues, and family in grief and disbelief. Here is what we know about his life, career, and cause of death.
Who was Bray Wyatt?
Bray Wyatt, whose real name was Windham Rotunda, was a professional wrestler who worked for WWE from 2009 to 2021. He was known for his unique and captivating character work, as well as his in-ring skills. He portrayed various personas, such as Husky Harris, Bray Wyatt, The Fiend, and The Eater of Worlds. He was the leader of a cult-like faction called The Wyatt Family, which included Erick Rowan, Luke Harper, Braun Strowman, and Randy Orton at different times. He also had a memorable partnership with Matt Hardy as The Deleters of Worlds.
Wyatt won several championships in WWE, including the WWE Championship, the Universal Championship, and the Raw and SmackDown Tag Team Championships. He also had memorable feuds with stars like John Cena, The Undertaker, Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and Alexa Bliss. He was widely regarded as one of the most creative and innovative wrestlers in the industry.
Wyatt came from a wrestling family. His grandfather was Blackjack Mulligan, a WWE Hall of Famer. His father was Mike Rotunda, who wrestled as IRS in WWE. His brother is Bo Dallas, who also wrestled for WWE. His uncle is Barry Windham, another WWE Hall of Famer.
Wyatt had two daughters with his ex-wife Samantha Rotunda, whom he divorced in 2017. He was engaged to WWE announcer JoJo Offerman, with whom he had a son in 2019.
What was Bray Wyatt’s Cause of Death?
According to Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful, Wyatt’s cause of death was a heart attack. Sapp reported that Wyatt had contracted COVID-19 earlier this year, which worsened his heart condition. He was making progress towards a return to wrestling, but he suffered a fatal cardiac arrest on August 24.
Wyatt’s death was announced by WWE executive Triple H on X (formerly Twitter). He wrote: “Just received a call from WWE Hall of Famer Mike Rotunda who informed us of the tragic news that our WWE family member for life Windham Rotunda – also known as Bray Wyatt – unexpectedly passed earlier today. Our thoughts are with his family and we ask that everyone respect their privacy at this time.”
Wyatt’s last appearance on WWE television was in February 2023 at the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view event. He had been absent from WWE programming since then due to his health issues. He was released from his contract by WWE in July 2021.
How did the wrestling world react to Bray Wyatt’s death?
Wyatt’s death has sent shockwaves throughout the wrestling world. Many wrestlers and fans have expressed their sorrow and condolences on social media. Some of the notable tributes are:
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson5: “Heartbroken to hear about Bray Wyatt’s passing. Always had tremendous respect & love for him. Loved his presence, promos, in ring work & connection with @WWE universe. Very unique cool & rare character which is hard to create in our crazy world of pro wrestling.”
- Mick Foley: “I thought so highly of Bray Wyatt…He was a true visionary; one of the most compelling presences that wrestling has ever seen.”
- Alexa Bliss: “I am at a loss for words right now…Thank you Windham for everything you’ve done for this company. The most fun I’ve ever had is working with you. Such an amazing talent & the most kind person.”
- John Cena: “I’m saddened by the passing of Bray Wyatt. He was one of my favorite opponents and one of the most creative minds I’ve ever worked with. He challenged me to be better every time we stepped in the ring together. My thoughts are with his family and friends.”
- Daniel Bryan: “Bray Wyatt was one of a kind. A brilliant performer and storyteller who always pushed the boundaries of his craft. I will always remember our matches and moments together fondly. Rest in peace, my friend.”
What was Bray Wyatt’s cause of death?
Bray Wyatt’s cause of death was a heart attack. He had contracted COVID-19 earlier this year, which worsened his heart condition.
How old was Bray Wyatt when he died?
Bray Wyatt was 36 years old when he died.
Who are Bray Wyatt’s family members?
Bray Wyatt’s family members include his grandfather Blackjack Mulligan, his father Mike Rotunda, his brother Bo Dallas, his uncle Barry Windham, his ex-wife Samantha Rotunda, his fiancée JoJo Offerman, and his three children.